Jay Janssen is one of the most preeminent and successful lawyers in Illinois for the past 50 years. Beginning in 1960s with a focus on product liabilities, Jay has built a career based on integrity, tenacity and defending those who have been mistreated or injured. Over that time, he has taken on and won many important cases against large pharmaceutical, insurance, automotive and Fortune 100 companies. Some of those cases have resulted in changes in the law and greater product safety.
Born in Peoria, Ill., Jay graduated from Bradley University in 1959 with a B.S. in Political Science, and received his Juris Doctor from the University of Illinois in 1961. He was admitted to the Illinois Bar Association that same year. Since that time, Jay has argued cases before the US District Court, Central District Court of Illinois, the US Seventh Circuit Court and the US Supreme Court.
Over his 48 year career as a lawyer, Jay has been, and continues to be, involved in many groups and associations. He is a member of the Illinois State Bar, American Trial Lawyers Association, Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America. From 1998 to 2000, he was appointed Chairman of the Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission of Illinois by the Supreme Court of Illinois.
Jay has received numerous awards and accolades including being named a Leading American Attorney®, Illinois Super Lawyer® and to the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™. He also has received the highest national rating from Martindale AV® as well as being named one of America’s Premier Lawyers by Fortune.
- Over 250 Appeals to the Illinois Supreme Court, Illinois Appellate Court and Federal Court of Appeals.
- Verdicts and settlements in the hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of injury victims throughout the state of Illinois.
- Senior attorney and owner of the Janssen Law Center, employing 8 attorneys and a support staff of 11.
- Leading American Attorneys
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Martindale AV -highest national rating
- Who’s Who - 24 years in a row
Number 1 Journal Star Readers Choice Award - every year
Past Chairman of Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois
University of Illinois Distinguished Alumni Award
Fortune Magazine’s America’s Premier Lawyers
Fellow of American Academy of Trial Council
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers